Tanglin Trust School is pleased to share that students from Year 5 to Year 13 were ranked remarkably in this year's Education Perfect Languages Championships, continuing from the school's success last year.
A total number of 1,723 Tanglin students took part in the annual championships under the Federation of British Schools in Asia (FOBISIA) Chapter this year but Tanglin's participation was also reflected in the World Competition which was taking place at the same time. In the FOBISIA category Tanglin students competed against 29 schools in the Southern Hemisphere region while in the World section, 2,824 schools participated worldwide.
Tanglin Trust School's Rankings:
4th out of 29
34th out of 2825
Àlex Bosch Susagna, Tanglin's Head of the Languages and Classics Faculty, Senior School said: "In seven days, we as a school answered 319,880 questions which gained us a total of 166,875 points, spending an impressive 582 hours engaged in practising vocabulary. Bearing in mind that minimal lesson time was used, the results were impressive and are testament to Tanglin students' hard work and commitment."
OTHER NOTABLE RESULTS
In the Core Languages category, Tanglin achieved:
- 12th best in the World Competition out of 1,668 Schools for French (2nd in the FOBISIA Competition)
- 15th best in the World Competition out of 785 Schools for Latin (1st in the FOBISIA Competition)
- 22nd best in the World Competition out of 1,476 Schools for Spanish (2nd in the FOBISIA Competition)
- 61st best in the World Competition out of 1,273 Schools for Chinese (3rd in the FOBISIA Competition)
TANGLIN'S CULTURAL DIVERSITY
Showing the cultural diversity of Tanglin, many students also completed activities in other languages that they speak at home or are learning outside of school which meant that the school scored in the following languages:
- Arabic – 2nd overall in the World Competition (Singapore category)
- Malay – 3rd overall in the World Competition (Singapore category)
- Japanese – 3rd overall in the FOBISIA Competition (Singapore category)
- Indonesian – 4th overall in the FOBISIA Competition
- Russian – 4th overall in the FOBISIA Competition
- German – 6th overall in the FOBISIA Competition
- Italian – 7th overall in the FOBISIA Competition
In total, 50 students achieved enough points to receive an award. This includes two Elite Prizes (only 10 of these were awarded in the FOBISIA competition), one Emerald (only 34 in total in the FOBISIA competition) and seven Gold (only 76 in total in the FOBISIA competition). Students Clara U and Leo M were the 19th and 42nd top scorers in the whole world Competition (out of 2,825 schools).
Tanglin's top 10 scorers were:
- Clara U – Elite Award (19th score in the world)
- Leo M – Elite Award (42th score in the world)
- Jamie A – Emerald Award
- Yash O – Gold Award
- Rhys M – Gold Award
- Utsav G – Gold Award
- Magnus M – Gold Award
- Lauren H– Gold Award
- Aditi B – Gold Award
- Aarin R – Gold Award
"We are extremely proud of the commitment, dedication and performance of our students and very grateful to our teachers and parents. Well done everyone." Alex concluded.