As the first truly international school in Singapore, Tanglin Trust School has been part of the Singapore educational landscape for over 90 years.
We are fortunate to be located in the heart of a vibrant community called One North which is within easy access to the whole of Singapore.
Community engagement is central to what we do at Tanglin.
- Tanglin has a long tradition of engagement with the local educational community, whether collaborating with schools such as Chen Su Lan, Raffles, Hwa Chong and many international schools on joint philanthropic projects and sports activities or hosting curriculum enrichment activities.
- Examples include, professional development for teachers from other local and international schools, Model United Nations, Infant School partnering with Chen Su Lan Children's Home, hosting the International Schools Computing Games and the upcoming Across Asia Youth Film Festival (AAYFF).
- Part of every student's journey through Tanglin includes meaningful engagement with the local community. This might be through the High Commissioners Award (HCA) in Years 5 and 6, the Learner Profile in Key Stage 3 (Years 7, 8 and 9) or the National Youth Achievement Award (NYAA) and Creativity, Activity, Service (CAS) projects in Key Stage 4 and 5 (Years 10-13).
- In addition, all students take an active role in philanthropy, particularly in developing strong relationships with local Singaporean charities. These include mufti days, class charities and whole school fundraising events. In all cases we aim to build lasting relationships.
- Connections with the Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) and business communities are great ways for our students to learn about the world of work. We link with local employers to expose our students to the world of work regularly hosting careers fairs, talks and enterprise projects. Students also take part in a work experience programme where they spend valuable time in various different industries.
- By 2020 one-north is destined to become a global talent hub and an international centre of excellence for scientific research, technology and media. It is already home to international organisations such as Disney, A*Star, Apple, Siemens and Proctor & Gamble as well as a hive of activity for innovative start-up enterprises. With this in mind, Tanglin is actively engaging with our new local neighbours while developing lasting links with the wider Singapore community. This will provide limitless possibilities for our students for learning beyond the classroom and also the chance to engage and offer our commitment to local community projects and activities.
- Awareness of the diversity of cultures in Singapore is woven into our values. We actively celebrate the many cultural days, including Hari Raya, Diwali and Chinese New Year, inviting performers and artists into school to share their love and expertise of these vibrant cultural festivals. Our Arts Faculty has a strong link with the local arts community and our music students are often lucky enough to perform in public spaces across Singapore including Ngee Ann City, Sentosa, Timbre+, National University Hospital (NUH) and community centres.
- Our long history affords us a deep connection to Singapore and we seek to ensure that our students genuinely feel part of this exciting island city.